She’s witty & wild. She’s fearless & fiery.
She’s sultry & such a smooth-talker. She’s daring & detached.
She’s independent & inviting. All in all, a kick-ass combo!
Samantha Jones, is one of the four friends from the most famous & controversial sitcoms of US television, ‘Sex and the city‘. When I say I can never be like her, I know I can’t, don’t wish to be & I mean it. Even if you forget for a moment, that I’m an Indian. I’m talking personalities here. Ask any of my close friends, they’ll tell the same.
Why do I get a broad smile on my face the moment she pops out?
She’s an imaginary friend that a person like me would want by her side in crucial & mournful situations in life. Her sense of humour can make me hold my stomach, laugh hysterically, & then eventually throw up at times (she can be sick too!). I wait for her to blurt out the dirty thought on every sane thing her friends talk about. One would be dopey enough to expect ‘I agree’ from her. There has to be a ‘sex’ angle to everything. That’s the only language she understands, she can write a book on menopause, orgasm, positions, sizes & sex toys, and I’m not exaggerating. She has experiences & opinions of her own & isn’t afraid to put them across the table. If New York was a wilderness, she would be the wildest cat that ever existed there.
A fantastic PR career, an office with a glass door splashing her name (& font size big!), good or may be brilliant money, designer wardrobe including all the A-list brands of clothes and shoes (I’m avoiding lingerie here), exquisite salon & spa treatments and of course, eating out in the best restaurants in Manhattan. She obviously has the power to fetch the front row seats passes of every freaking fashion week happening in the city of New York. And yet, I refuse to accept even THIS part of her life, I think I’m weird. No, I know I am.
Concerns with Samantha:
- She cannot walk on the road holding a man’s hand. There goes romance out of the window.
- She definitely has co-dependency issues. There goes marriage out of the window.
- Don’t even try & talk about kids in her presence. She has the ability to make you feel miserable, and she will, right there, without wasting a minute. There go kids out of the window.
She’s unsympathetic yet emotional. She’s materialistic, extremely practical & holds no qualms about being one. She cares a great deal for her friends & Carrie in specific, as she had the guts to come out and attend her book launch party, post a horrific experiment with the chemical peel which left scars all over her face. She has stood up for her friends, has shed tears for them & has put herself into grueling situations for them. She has a great sense of fashion, a little off beat at times, which works well for her. She definitely can fake confidence. It amazes me the way she gathers herself, walks the same way with same body language, head held up high minus the inflated nostrils, immediately after an embarrassing incident. This woman has the charm which can make even a vegetable-seller feel sexy.
Samantha’s Anecdotal Incidents:
- During an AIDS test, when asked about the number of sexual partners she’s had, her reply, ‘’Pause, pause, pause, pause, I’m counting, pause, pause, pause, long pause, um, this year?”.
- When she was gifted a pearl thong by one of her serious boyfriends, she walked up eight floors as couldn’t wait for the elevator, to not to miss a chance and catch him cheating on her. Wait, it was rather punishing to walk along the pearly thong, and yikes, she takes them off on the way.
- While trying to milk a cow, the milk comes straight on her face, her reaction, ‘’I usually get a warning before that happens’’.
- Imagine, this woman can confuse a neck-massager for a vibrator, and then, will go to an extent to return it as it won’t work satisfactorily, well, inevitable!
No one has ever said these words with so much character, but Samantha:
- Hi, I’m Samantha Jones!
- Well honey!
- That’s fabulous!
Interesting turns in Samantha’s journey:
- Lesbian relationship, which after all came to an end. She was born to experiment, or I’d rather put this as ‘sexperiment’!
- Threesome with a gay couple which again turned out to be a failure, leaving her in the middle of nowhere, her eyes went left & right like a ping-pong game, except, this game had more balls.
- Fighting breast cancer with so much ease. In the hospital bed, all she thought of was to dress up fabulously in an upcoming movie premier.
- Hair struggle post chemotherapy & a speech about breast cancer which interestingly enough also leads to her wig removing act in front of the audience, following a standing ovation.
I definitely have one pretty evident thing in common with SJ; we both get piqued at emotionally needy people. Oh please, for God sake, get a grip.
She’s one of the female humans, who was born ready to face the world, who commands power, isn’t wary of being alone or dying alone, facing one challenge after another and getting stronger and stronger by each minute. Head help up high, there is unarguably nothing hormonal about her.
My Favorite Samantha quotes:
- ”I will not be judged by you or society, I will wear whatever & blow whomever, as long as I can breathe and kneel”.
- ‘’I don’t believe in the Democratic Party or the Republican Party, I just believe in parties’’.